Learning and Development Manager
Judicial College Division
An attractive judicial branch benefits package is offered, including pension, medical, dental, vision and life insurance, as well as deferred compensation and generous leave time.
Starting at $82,457; salary commensurate with experience
Director, Judicial College Division
The Supreme Court of Illinois Judicial College was established January 1, 2016 by Order of the Illinois Supreme Court to provide comprehensive continuing education to Illinois judges and judicial branch justice partners including, adult, juvenile and detention officers, circuit court clerks and deputy clerks, trial court administrators, Guardians ad Litem appointed by the Court in abuse and neglect matters, and legal and administrative judicial branch staff. The Judicial College is comprised of six Standing Committees and is governed by a Board of Trustees appointed by the Supreme Court of Illinois.
For more about the Supreme Court of Illinois Judicial College, visit: http://illinoiscourts.gov/IL_Judicial_College/default.asp
This position is expected to provide leadership and managerial oversight of Illinois Judicial College continuing education on behalf of the Judicial College Division and in support of the Illinois Judicial College Board of Trustees. This includes, but is not limited to, administrative and technical oversight of all aspects of curriculum and course administration, including the design, development, delivery, evaluation, review and reporting of Judicial College curricula, courses, projects, programs and professional development.
Major Responsibilities and Duties
- Directs and prioritizes workflow consistent with the purpose stated above; responsible for all curriculum and course project management;
- Coordinates workflow throughout the Administrative Office and Judicial College Standing Committees; including eLearning and Learning Management System (LMS) and IT coordination;
- Supervision and management of staff responsible for supportive learning and development activities, and eLearning course administration; oversight of MCLE (minimum continuing legal education) provider requirements;
- Directs and manages multiple learning projects in size and complexity for a wide array of judicial branch professionals in coordination with Judicial College Committees;
- Ability to engage in strategic planning and analyze data;
- Utilizes adult learning principles to develop courses and all instructional materials;
- Knowledgeable of techniques that will enhance learner engagement and professional competencies;
- Directs activities related to the management and oversight of LMS event management and technology and staff;
- Coordinates and attends project staff meetings and provides status updates on Judicial College Committee activities; develops and prepares required reports as necessary;
- Has budget oversight responsibilities for activities related to the development and delivery of curricula and courses, including but not limited to event location and LMS expenses, faculty honorarium, technology, meeting support, and supplies;
- Manages and monitors contracts and exercises budget oversight of expenditures related to authorized Judicial College activities;
- Recommends, develops, and implements standard operating procedures, and tools and templates;
- Maintain files and databases of Judicial College Committee plans, calendars, curricula and courses, and provides timely updates/reports;
- Researches and recommends software and learning management platforms;
- Coordinates Judicial College professional development and staff development; oversees implementation of instructional innovations;
- Knowledge and proficiency with collection, analysis and reporting of data;
- Flexible and open to personal professional development;
- Ability to commit to core principles of diversity, inclusion, procedural fairness, access to justice, and the mitigation of bias in decision making; assist Judicial College Committees in the incorporation of these principles into curricula and courses;
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines while producing high-quality deliverables;
- Other duties and responsibilities reasonably within the scope of duties and responsibilities noted herein;
- Statewide travel required; considerations given to travel restrictions due to pandemic.
Education and Experience Requirements
A minimum of five years of experience in a post with emphasis in curriculum and development, teaching and learning, learning and development, instructional design, or the administration of education programs, preferred. A minimum of two years experience as a manager or supervisor, preferred. Masters degree in curriculum and instruction, teaching and learning, instructional design, or equivalent area highly preferred; applicants with a J.D., Ed.D. or Ph.D., and related experience, are welcome to apply; Bachelor's degree in a related field and five years of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, will be considered. Experience with live/face-to-face and online learning experiences as an instructor, presenter or planner; higher education teaching experience at the Community College or University/College/Law School level, a plus; working knowledge of blended learning and eLearning course designs, strongly preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
- Mastery of tools and instructional strategies effective for adult learners, eLearning and in-person courses and programs.
- Proficient in design and development within Articulate Storyline.
- Proficient with Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Office Suite (Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook), Zoom Meeting and Zoom Webinar, Google products (Docs, Sites, Drive, et al.), audience responses systems, Westlaw and Lexis/Nexis, related instructional technologies and tools.
- Knowledge of Learning Management Systems, online course design, maintenance, and registration.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong business acumen, communication, decision making and problem-solving skills.
This position requires the ability to sit for extended periods of time. This is a professional office working environment requiring telephone usage and the ability to process written and electronic documents. Must be able to obtain a valid Illinois driver's license and be able to travel frequently statewide.
Interested individuals should submit, via email, a letter of interest, resume, professional writing sample, and completed Judicial Branch Employment Application to:
This position will remain open until filled. However, candidates submitting materials on or before Monday, September 21, 2020 will be given first consideration.