Employment Opportunities | State of Illinois Office of the Illinois Courts
Appellate Court Judicial Secretary/Law Clerk
- Posted Date
- Closing Date
This position will remain open until filled.
Fifth District Appellate Court
An attractive judicial branch benefits package is offered, including pension, medical, dental, vision and life insurance, as well as deferred compensation and generous leave time.
Justice Judy L. Cates is seeking a judicial secretary/law clerk for her chambers in Swansea, Illinois. The judicial secretary/law clerk conducts legal research and drafts opinions, orders, and memoranda. The position also requires performance of some administrative duties, including tracking the status of cases, maintaining files, and communicating with the courthouse and other chambers.
- Research and analysis of law regarding issues addressed by parties or the court in an appellate setting;
- Read and examine motions, briefs, and records; determine relevant cases to be reviewed; verify the jurisdiction of the court;
- Draft proposed orders, opinions, and legal memoranda;
- Prepare purchase requisitions and invoice vouchers; monitor maintenance contracts for equipment;
- Supervise service functions of the judicial office including operating procedures, incoming mail processing, recordkeeping, file maintenance and inventory of office supplies;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Applicants must be graduates of an ABA accredited law school, and have a strong academic record; superior research and writing skills; familiarity with Microsoft Office Programs; outstanding communication, computer, organizational skills; and the ability to utilize electronic platforms, including email, videoconferencing, and related technology. Preference will be given to those with an Illinois law license and prior experience as a judicial law clerk or legal practitioner.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This position requires the ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time. This is a professional office working environment requiring telephone usage and the ability to process written documents.
Interested individuals should submit a letter of interest, resume, professional writing sample, a transcript of law school grades, and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position will remain open until filled.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER