September 29, 2020
Dear Justice Corner,
I’m having trouble finding an in-person court interpreter, what can I do?
Dear Judge InNeedOfInterpretation,
The first place to check for interpreters is the AOIC Court Interpreter Registry, which can be found at https://publicapps.illinoiscourts.gov/apex/f?p=303:25. The Registry has over 300 vetted court interpreters in nearly 30 different languages. If you cannot find the language you are looking for or an available in-person interpreter on the AOIC Court Interpreter Registry, there are other resources available including remote interpreting.
The AOIC is currently offering limited funding when InLingo and Interprenet are used by local courts. These two companies provide remote (video and phone) as well as in-person interpreting. They also focus on hiring certified and qualified interpreters, many of whom are listed on the AOIC Court Interpreter Registry.
The funding applies to all local court proceedings and both companies will invoice the AOIC directly until funding is depleted. There is no need for a contract to start working with InLingo and/or Interprenet. Additionally, InLingo and Interprenet will provide training for judges, clerks, and court staff on how to use their services.
- For additional information from InLingo, please contact Alessandra Campana at 866-346-5464 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For additional information from Interprenet, please call 312-928-1188 or email email@example.com.
The Access to Justice Division of the AOIC is ready to assist your court in any way it can to ensure litigants maintain access to justice during this time. Reach out to Noor Alawawda at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions about interpreters. As always if you have questions, comments, concerns, suggestions, or stories about self-represented litigants, please email email@example.com.
Justice Corner, Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Access to Justice's Court Guidance and Training Committee
- Chair, Judge Jo Beth Weber, Jefferson County
- Presiding Judge Clarence M. Darrow, Rock Island County
- Presiding Judge Sharon M. Sullivan, Cook County
- Associate Judge Elizabeth M. Rochford, Lake County
- Chief Judge Michael Kramer, Kankakee County
- Justice Michael B. Hyman, 1st Appellate District
- David Holtermann, Lawyers' Trust Fund, Chicago
- Wendy Vaughn, Clinical Professor NIU, Member of Access to Justice Commission
- Jill Roberts, Access to Justice Division Staff