Named after Ninian Edwards, Governor of the Illinois Territory and the third Governor of the State of Illinois. Edwards served as Territorial Governor from May 27, 1809 to October 6, 1818 and Governor of the State of Illinois from December 6, 1826 to December 6, 1830.
Franklin County FYI
Named for Benjamin Franklin, philosopher, statesman, diplomatist, author, printer, a member of the Continental Congress, Ambassador to France, and (before the Revolution) Deputy Postmaster General of the British Colonies in America.
Benton, County Seat
Courthouse contact information:
Franklin County Courthouse
Public Courthouse Square
Benton, IL 62812
Named for Albert Gallatin, a statesman and financier, Representative in Congress from Pennsylvania, Secretary of the Treasury of the United States, and Minister to France and England.
Shaweetown received the honor of appointment as the seat of justice.
In 1857 a courthouse was built with this bell later becoming its distinctive crownpiece.
Hamilton County FYI
Named for Alexander Hamilton, a soldier, statesman, author and financier, aid on the staff of Washington during the Revolution, a member of the Continental Congress, first Secretary of Treasury (1789–1795), and Commander-in-Chief of the United States Army in 1799.
McLeansboro, County Seat
Hamilton County Courthouse
100 S. Jackson Street
McLeansboro, IL 62859-1489
Hardin County was established by legislative act on March 2, 1839. The county was named for John Hardin, an officer in the Continental Army in the American Revolutionary War
The county seat was located at McFarlan’s Ferry (Elizabethtown) in 1840. Legend holds that Elizabethtown was named for Elizabeth McFarlan, who arrived here with her husband, James B. McFarlan around 1804-1812.
The Elizabethtown court house burned on two occasions (1884 and 1921) and many facts about the early history of Elizabethtown was lost.
Jefferson County FYI
Named after Thomas Jefferson, third President of the United States (1801–1809) and author of the Declaration of Independence.
Mt. Vernon, County Seat
Jefferson County Courthouse
100 S. 10th Street
Mt. Vernon, IL 62864
Named for Captain James Lawrence, Commander of the Chesapeake, who was mortally wounded in an engagement between that vessel and the British vessel, Shannon, during the War of 1812.
The present court-house was completed in 1841, and Lawrenceville has continued to be the County-seat without interruption. In 1861, the question of removal to Bridgeport was submitted to the people, but the election resulted in favor of Lawrenceville.
Richland County FYI
Named after Richland County in Ohio through the influence of emigrants from that county.
The current Richland county court
house is the fourth courthouse to
be erected in Olney, the county seat.
The previous court house was
destroyed by fire in 1913.
Olney, County Seat
Richland County Courthouse
103 W. Main Street
Olney, IL 62450
Named for the Wabash River which derives its name from the Indian word Oubache (pronounced wáw bash, wáa bash).
The first courthouse was in Centerville, town that was created to serve as the county seat. Within a few years, the county seat was moved to Mt. Carmel and a new courthouse was built in 1831. This building burned in 1857, and a third courthouse, built in 1857, it was destroyed by a tornado in 1877. The fourth courthouse was built with state relief aid in 1881 and remained in use until it was "rebuilt" in 1959 and 1963
Wayne County FYI
Named for Anthony Wayne, a Major General during the Revolution, Commander-in-Chief of the Army after General St. Clair.
The first Circuit Court was held by a Justice of the Supreme Court in a house about eight miles south and a little east of Fairfield.
Part of the Court House burned on November 17, 1886, destroying many of the records in the Recorder's Office. The present Court House was erected in 1891. A new addition was added to the south side of the Court House in 1955, and on the north side in 1957.
Fairfield, County Seat
Wayne County Courthouse
301 East Main Street,
P.O. Box 96
Fairfield, IL 62837