Carroll County was organized in 1839 and was named after Charles Carroll, a wealthy landowner and politician from Maryland. Carroll was one of the four men from Maryland, who signed the Declaration Of Independence. The honor of naming the county was bestowed upon Isaac Chambers, the first settler in the county. Since Charles Carroll was one of the political heroes of the day, Mr. Chambers decided to name the county after Carroll.
Carroll County is located in the northwestern part of Illinois on the Mississippi River. The county seat, Mt. Carroll, is located on U.S. Highway 78. The county was formed in 1839 from Jo Daviess County, but the final townships were not completely defined until 1850.
The first county court sessions were held in a local tavern.
The first court house was in full session by the spring of 1845, but work on finishing up the details would go on for another five years as the county struggled to get out of their $40,000-$60,000 debt. The court house served its citizens faithfully for another 30 years. A new addition, which rose 90 feet to the top of the tower, was ready for occupancy in December, 1900. Today, the court house stands considerably lower. The cupola deteriorated badly over the years and a severe storm during the 1930s toppled it to the ground. It was never replaced.
Lee County FYI
Named after Richard Henry Lee, a senator and statesman of the Revolutionary period, a member of the Continental Congress, a Representative in Congress and United States Senator from Virginia. He was also holds the honor of being one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.
The Lee County Courthouse sits on land donated by the founder of the Dixon Community, John Dixon. The block was designated as the "Public Square" and three different courthouse buildings have graced it. Construction on the present one was completed in 1901. Also, on site is the lawn marker commemorating Abraham Lincoln's political speech on July 17, 1856.
Dixon, County Seat
Courthouse contact information:
Lee County Courthouse
P.O. Box 329
Dixon, IL 61021
The name, Ogle, was suggested by Thomas Ford in memory of Captin Joseph Ogle, who distinguished himself for his courage in the early days of the State’s history.
The first session of the Ogle County Commissioner’ Court was held at Oregon on January 3, 1837.
The present couthouse was completed for occupancy in 1891 at a total cost of $106,951.46 for building and equipment.
Renovation of the interior of the Courthouse was completed in 1984 at a cost of $1,500,000.00.
Stephenson County FYI
Stephenson county takes its name from Colonel Benjamin Stephenson, who served as a colonel in the War of 1812 in the Illinois Militia. In 1813 he was appointed adjutant general of the territory. In 1814 Stephenson was elected delegate to Congress, where he served until 1816.
As in many other counties across the country, the Stephenson County Courthouse is the site for important memorials and monuments. The Civil War Soldiers Monument on the southwest corner was dedicated in 1871. It is made of Joliet marble with a twelve foot square base and is eighty-three feet high.
Stephenson county was the site of the second Lincoln-Douglas Debate, August 27, 1858.
Freeport, County Seat
Courthouse contact information:
Stephenson County Courthouse
15 North Galena Avenue
Freeport, IL 61032