Employment Opportunities | State of Illinois Office of the Illinois Courts
Court Operations Assistant
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The Court Operations Assistant position performs court operation duties including photocopying and proofreading of court related documents for the First District Appellate Court Administrative Support Unit. As needed, this position also maintains a presence in the Appellate Court courtroom during oral arguments. Supervision is received from the Court Operations Manager and work is reviewed on the basis of observation and reports.
- Performs court duties as assigned; inspects courtroom for cleanliness and orderliness, appropriate supplies, proper heat, light, ventilation and sound equipment; opens court by announcing the entrance of the judges during oral arguments.
- Prepares the courtroom for oral arguments; responsible for audio and video recordings and documenting recording times for each case during oral arguments when requested; retrieves and sets out records and briefs.
- Assists judges in maintaining order and decorum during court proceedings; seats spectators in specific areas of the courtroom.
- As needed, monitors security for judges and other court personnel during oral arguments and prepares incident reports as needed.
- Notifies court personnel, attorneys, and parties when to be present in the courtroom.
- Sorts and distributes mail; picks up and delivers messages and supplies, requisitions, court records and briefs from the Clerk’s Office for distribution to and from judges.
- Receives, relocates, and/or delivers ordered supplies; assists with packing and relocating judge's chambers when requested.
- Operates photocopying equipment to reproduce Appellate Court opinions and other court materials.
- Responsible for the maintenance of photocopying equipment; loads copy paper, orders supplies and reports any malfunctions to the Court Operations Manager.
- Proofreads Appellate Court Opinions, Rule 23 Orders and Summary Orders; reviews placement of judge's names, headings, dates, paragraph numbers, case numbers, periods and commas.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: A high school diploma is required.
The successful candidate must possess the ability to set up and prepare courtroom for session and, as needed, perform bailiff duties during court sessions; maintain order and decorum during court proceedings, ability to accurately sort and distribute mail and packages; working knowledge of photocopying equipment; effectively communicate both verbally and in writing, and associate with employees and the public in a pleasant, courteous, and helpful manner.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This is a normal office working environment and requires the ability to sit for extended periods of time, move from floor to floor in order to retrieve and deliver records and briefs to Appellate Court judges and staff and the Appellate Court Clerk's Office, lift a minimum of 25 pounds, listen carefully and detect errors in printed materials, process written documents, and obtain an Illinois driver's license, demonstrate proof of automobile insurance to operate a personal vehicle on state business and maintain a safe driving record.
Application Process: Applicant must submit a cover letter, resume, and a completed Judicial Branch Employment Application to:
Applicant's information must be received by 4:30 p.m. on Monday, June 21, 2021.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER